A while ago, A and I were watching an episode of 'Lost' where Jack plays 'Heart and Soul' with his fiance. For those who are wondering what that is, it's a very simple yet beautiful piano piece meant to be played by two people sitting side by side. One plays the base chords while the other plays the melody. Back in grad school I learnt to play both parts from a friend.
Anyway, so watching that episode of Lost once again triggered my passion for learning to play the piano. I say once again because I spent some time in 2002 teaching myself to play from some of the most amazing lessons I've come across, at the end of which I was able to play at the level of an advanced beginner. I can even play the first page of fur elise!!
For the curious, visit: www.learnpianoonline.com
I stumbled across this website while search for piano lessons and stuck to this site after trying out many many others. If you are interested in teaching yourself, I guarantee you will not find self teaching lessons better than these. They are very intuitive and with a well thought out progression. Back in 2002, she had many more free lessons on the site. Now the free section has become much shorter. But the $69 for a year's premium membership is still a GREAT alternative to taking physical lessons which typically cost something like $75 - $100 per hour or sometimes even 1/2 hour!! I'm now considering signing up for the membership....only one question remains - will I hold myself to my resolution this year?
No comments:
Post a Comment