Sunday, August 09, 2009

Been a while...

....since I read any books. I don't know why but I go in and out of reading phases. I've been in a non-reading phase for at least 3 or 4 months now. Not picked up a single book and it bothers the hell out of me. But the year has generally been a crazy one so far. Work has kept me busier than ever the past few months. Combine that with dance rehearsals for our annual day show in June and house guests, I'm left with wanting to do absolutely nothing and just 'be' in the remaining time. The older I get, just 'being' makes me feel like I'm running out of time to do and experience things. So I want to give myself no time to rest. I tell myself there's plenty of time for that when I get old and retire. But after my little visit to the ER in June, if I've learnt one thing this year it's that you need to allow your body and mind to slow down and rest from time to time. Those 'do nothing' periods are as important to your body, mind and soul as the doing and experiencing. Nothing is worth deteriorating your health for no matter how much you love it. I used to be pretty good at pacing myself but lately it's been something I've been struggling with, primarily because of work. As I get more comfortable in my new role at work though, I'm learning to push back, understand how full my plate is and not take on too much at a time. As an engineer the focus was usually on one to two reasonably well defined projects and taking on too much never came up as much of an issue except occassionally, not *ALL* the time. But as a PM it just makes me go to the ER. :-) Speaking of pacing myself, it's time for me to go to bed now.

1 comment:

SUMI said...

I think it's more the constant feeling of racing against time in general that's causing this stress rather than the busy schedule. If one's relaxed, even tonsa workload can get manageable, I think...

So chill, girl! Thinking about getting older etc. is neither living in the moment nor planning for the future, it takes us nowhere. :-(

Hope you have a great vacation this summer!