I've been sick for the past few days with the flu. Fever chills, body and head aches aside, it naturally gives me time to ponder 'life', jobless as I am while recovering. :-)
I am far from religious in the 'God' sense. But this something I've thought hard about through the blip of an existence that is my life thus far. I feel that there is no such thing as a perfectly rational or logical human. There never has been and never will be. We humans are inherently flawed and egotistical. We have been religious and always will be - whether that religion has something to do with a traditional 'God' or 'Science' or your toaster or whatever else. We know so little about our own infinitesimally insignificant existence and have difficulty accepting that we cannot explain everything - that's the egotistical part. On one hand, this ego is probably what keeps us from becoming extinct (yet). On the other hand, it might just be leading us further that way... :-)
On the lighter side, how else would one explain Mac fanatics arguing vehemently over why Macs are the greatest thing since sliced bread? ;-)
I am far from religious in the 'God' sense. But this something I've thought hard about through the blip of an existence that is my life thus far. I feel that there is no such thing as a perfectly rational or logical human. There never has been and never will be. We humans are inherently flawed and egotistical. We have been religious and always will be - whether that religion has something to do with a traditional 'God' or 'Science' or your toaster or whatever else. We know so little about our own infinitesimally insignificant existence and have difficulty accepting that we cannot explain everything - that's the egotistical part. On one hand, this ego is probably what keeps us from becoming extinct (yet). On the other hand, it might just be leading us further that way... :-)
On the lighter side, how else would one explain Mac fanatics arguing vehemently over why Macs are the greatest thing since sliced bread? ;-)
2 comments:
Yeah, obviously we are not Vulcans. As an aside me thinks it's the whimsy/irrational dimensions in combination with rationality that makes the human race interesting...
On second thought are we interesting in a universal sense or is it just that *we* find ourselves interesting :-) ?... Hmm
Haha, yes. Perhaps we really are an experiment set up by mice. (Sorry had to bring in the geeky Hitchhikers reference :-)). The reason(s) for my post are recalling past encounters with people who consider themselves perfectly rational. That's just not possible IMO.
Post a Comment