Wednesday, March 03, 2010

The beauty of movement

It's been a little over 25 years now. What began as a hobby, something I was 'made' to do as a child came back to stick with me for life. I feel like my real journey with it started only in the last five years though. It is now something of an undying passion, a window into inexplicable other-worldly bliss and a change from this-worldly mundanity (there is such a word, I looked it up :)). I am speaking, of course, about Bharatanatyam.

My parents were (still are) heavily into classical music and dance. My mom didn't have the opportunity to learn when she was little so she sent me to take dance lessons when I was 4. Growing up, it was just another of my hobbies and didn't particularly enjoy it. At that time, I only went to classes because I was made to. I did my Arangetram to make my parents happy. Now, I cannot live without Bharatanatyam. It has taken me several years to understand it, make friends with it and absorb it....but I finally did.

It has taught me the beauty of movement and of letting oneself flow freely into space in a way that awakens the inner calm. Movement that energizes, yet brings into focus a certain stillness. It has challenged me with intellectual and emotional complexity...and of expanding mental boundaries and letting go of conscious feelings. I have also learnt the importance of practice, rigour and focus. To me, it is a spiritual experience without the bounds of any defined religion. It is a way to channel my energies. It allows me to dream, forget worries and be at peace, in the present, devoid of ego and absorbed in the moment.

It isn't just an art form to me, but a way of life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting that you have a 'safe haven' of sorts. Very few really explore their inner self to discover 'peace'. I am just glad you've found 'it'. More dance to you! :)

-Bonafide Hustler

Unknown said...

Divya, YOU are such an incredibly talented dancer with a truly powerful stage presence given the small frame of your form. I am so glad this has reached a point where you are incomplete without dance... This is it!

love,
Subhashini