I was listening to an episode of This American Life last week on the topic of middle school in America, this one in particular - http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/449/middle-school.
Essentially they were talking about how middle school is such a significant time in the lives of children. I agree, it is a time of big changes. You're just about starting to grow into your adult body and forming some of your own opinions. You go through big changes both physically and mentally.
One of the bigger issues they brought up was how clothes made up such a stress factor in middle school (in America). Specifically, thoughts such as - would this sweater my grandma gifted me for Christmas be made fun of by the 'cool' kids? It then struck me. Clothing was never a big conversation topic when I went to middle school. Our minds were free of all the talk of what's cool to wear and what's not until we were well into high school. We were not judged by what we wore. That's when I realized the importance of school uniforms!
As a child I used to envy my cousins growing up in America because they got to wear whatever they wanted to school right from day one. But the more I think about this now, I really see the value in school uniforms. With all the changes you're already going through during your middle school years, do you really need yet another silly stress factor and point of judgement resulting from what you wear? .....in middle school?
No comments:
Post a Comment