This scares the shit out of me (if I end up having a girl). I always disliked the extreme 'princess culture' & pink-ness of all girly things and hate Disney for creating the mania around it. This and the extreme trophy oriented-ness of schools now a days. They give you a giant trophy for every little normal thing. It's such a strong marketing oriented culture that it doesn't take kids too long to go "oh i'm so awesome" and get cocky. I have to take my kids down a notch every time I hear that sort of talk or see that kind of behavior in my classes without hurting their normal levels of confidence of course. And I see the difference almost immediately in how hard they try. Anyhoo, right now I'm terrified of raising a girl (though I want one).
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2011/01/26/disney-princesses-and-the-battle-for-your-daughter-s-soul.html
2 comments:
i've heard about this book for a while and wanted to read it. Well it's not just Disney's princesses. My least favorite characters when I watch Mickey Mouse videos are Daisy duck and Minnie Mouse. Daisy Duck I downright hate. Minnie Mouse I am more passive about.
I don't know why you want a girl. Girls are a pain in the ass. LOL!!
Haha. Actually I spoke to a couple of friends about the whole princess thing as they have daughters who never got obsessed with it and was asking them how they did it. Then I felt better. Dunno, but both of us want a girl. =)
Post a Comment