Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Marriage

We recently played a fun game at a friend's place called Table Topics. It's basically a bunch of cards, each with a question on it. Every guest is given one card. When it's their turn, they have to read the question and answer it. Then every body else takes turns answering that question. The game continues with the next person reading the next question. Something of an ice breaker. One of the questions was this - what do you miss most about being single? Both Ashwin and I said we missed nothing. My thoughts wandered off to our marriage and the years we've been together. It's pretty awesome. :-)

I've come across this statement pretty often - that marriage is hard work. I disagree. This is highly subjective, of course. It's pretty much a personality thing. But I believe that if you've married the right person for you, it just comes real easy. It never feels like any work, let alone hard work. The fun times, the not-so-fun times, all of it is awesome. That is how I've always felt. I think I'm incredibly lucky to have found my soulmate.

I think this is one of the reasons why we never wanted to have kids for so long. We've never felt anything to be missing from our lives. The thought of changing our relationship with such a big unknown thrown into it terrified me. Still does, even though I know that we're beyond all that and our bond is so strong that we can get through anything. There are many experiences you can pick as a couple and having a kid is one of them. It's always been an optional one for us. We decided to finally go for it. As I feel our baby kick and move around everyday, I'm finally starting to get excited about it. Some amount of cold feet is to be expected from people like us who've never felt a strong urge to become parents. But I think it would be interesting to see a little piece of both of us running around. More love to share. Here's to new adventures and big life changes... 

No comments: